Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The 1,000 pound Gorilla....

Every boat has at least one 1,000 pound Gorilla (i.e. a problem so big that we try to ignore it). Some boats have a whole band of them. The Whitby 42's gorilla has to be the center fuel tank.

I know I said that I had planned to leave it "as is", but.....


I decided cut an inspection hole in the tank under galley area. My biggest concern was that I would find the tank in perfect condition (at least from the inside - keep in mind that the tank is most likely to corrode from the outside in.).


Worry over - the tank had a four inch hole. It would appear that at least some parts of the tank had been foamed in place providing a perfect location for corrosion.



Next project ...................... cutting out a fuel tank, piece by piece......

No comments: