Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chainplates....

Are important. They keep your mast(s) up. If they fail it can spoil your whole day.



These are the chainplates from my last boat, a Downeaster 38, after being removed by the new owners. I had mentioned that the chainplates might need replacing so they were pretty understanding (thanks Jack and Susan). Plates were approx 1/4inch by 2inch. I just didn't know how soon they needed replacing. I went so far as having all of them x-rayed in Trinidad about two year previously and they were given the all clear.

So, hopefully, I have now learned my lesson. If in ANY doubt change them out.

3 comments:

builder said...

Wow. that picture is a bit distressing. About how thick are (were) those chainplates?

The Incredible Hull said...

Plates were approx 1/4inch by 2inch.

Unknown said...

I have a DE 32 with the same plate failure. I am replacing them all but failure analysis is key to it never happening again. They break is at the bolt hole (clue # 1), there is evidence of load bending at those bolt holes (clue # 2), and finally there is corrosion through the entire failure area (clue # 3). Conclusion . . . design failure. There should not have been bending loads at the bolt holes. This structure is stronger and more durable minus the top bolt and hole.