Monday, September 21, 2009

Stbd. Fuel tank out....

The original Stbd. fuel tank appeared to be in pretty good shape despite the fact that it was foamed in. The lid did have a slight bulge and it was in dire need of serious cleaning.





If, however, anything happened to it in the future (pinhole leak etc.) it would be a major saga to replace it. The decision was therefore made to remove it now, while the engine room was empty.



It can be pried inwards if the front of the fiberglass box is cut away. It is foamed along about 1/3 of its bottom and outboard side. It can only be removed via the engine room lid.

Still way too hot for this nonsense....

4 comments:

capndeb said...

You are working too hard. Tomorrow it will be Autumn. Take a break. But mostly I am very impressed with your determination!

The Incredible Hull said...

Hi Deb

Actually I'm pretty well faking it. The blog looks much better than the boat. BTW Lynne and I dropped by your boat in Boot key a few weeks ago but you were away. Will give you a heads up the next time.

Regards

Gerry

Margaret Colquhoun said...

Just read your blog and it's all true! We met at the Whitby/Brewer rendezvous. Hope to meet you cruising soon. Lion's Paw #315 (Whitby 42. Marg and Steve Colquhoun
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/lionspaw315

navarch said...

I went through a major rehab (not this major) in 2001 on my Whitby (#316), so I feel your pain. But it was worth it. I'm installing sonic tank transducers, and I wonder if you have any way to measure the dimensions of the starboard tank that you removed. Thanks, Bruce